+ Reply to Thread
Page 985 of 1184 FirstFirst ... 485 885 935 975 983 984 985 986 987 995 1035 1085 ... LastLast
Results 9,841 to 9,850 of 11831

Thread: Rate the last movie you saw with no spoilers.

Quote Originally Posted by PatSox View Post
    Silver Linings Playbook

Alright, it's not stupid, not the whole way through. It's well done at times, but it's mostly ya know.....cute...sweet. A very typical half inspirational drama, half romantic comedy with a lot of akward situations, good times followed by bad times, followed by good times, followed by really bad, then really good, with a nice happy ending. There are about 46 of these every year, this just happened to be the best one

Jennifer Lawrence is okay. Bradley Cooper is good. Deniro, eh.....that fastball is never coming back. But, John Ortiz is great and Jackie Weaver is excellent. You want to see her in a great movie watch Animal Kingdom, by the way.

The story is patchy. All this stuff they get in to with Deniro's superstitions and the Eagles and the betting is so ridiculous. I was expecting it to get to a point where THAT becomes an issue, but not at all in the way it ultimately played out. I thought the movie was going to get a little more real there. To where that had to be addressed for how silly and crazy it is and he needed to be reeled in and maybe that would create some emotional moments, but instead everyone plays along with it and it becomes what we're supposed to be rooting for. It's so fucking fake and unnatural. Typical holywood, taking something that has a scale of 1-10 and cranking it to 35. Took me right out of the movie

So, a nice story with some good parts, completely undermined by focusing on the wrong things. Also very typical, run of the mill stuff. This was NOT Argo, this was NOT Django, the was NOT Zero Dark Thirty and this was DAMN SURE NOT The Master. If this movie wins the award. I'll be............well I guess I'll at least be relieved that it didn't go to the fucking Musical

6.5/10

Quote Originally Posted by BJPENNSTATE View Post
    Silver linings playbook.

9/10.

Great movie with two misfits of society falling in love. Cooper plays a bipolar black sheep, whose wife cheated on him and Jennifer lawerence plays a majorly depressed slut after her husbands untimely death.

Jennifer lawerence has one of the best performances of the year, Cooper was decent, and the whole de Niro and superstitious gambling is pretty weird, but Jennifer lawerence perfect portrayal of a deeply insecure damaged character made the movie memorable.
    its a great movie if you allow it to be. if you go in jaded, you will hate it. the gambling superstitions were over the top, but aside from that it is a very human movie as compared to all these other fantastical 'oscar buzzworthy' films. i think that most of the hate for the 'corniness' of this film is derived from audiences being used to movies that have to deal with the human experience as usually being depressing/melancholic/nostalgic but never nice or happy. the film does a good job with its rebuttal to that within the first 10 minutes though, via cooper's character's take on a farewell to arms.

and its like catching a rare pokemon seeing chris tucker in a movie without jackie chan!
    Last edited by lion king 2; 01-24-2013 at 01:19 PM.

Yeah, it was nice to see psychiatric disorders affect the relationship and family dynamics with a touch of dark humor thrown in.

Quote Originally Posted by Premier View Post
    HA! I been waiting to watch that. Saw a little bit but it was missing the subtitles. The Mexico part I saw was nasty. NEVER been to them types of whore houses.
    After I watched this one thing was very evident; if I ever want to pay for sex it's well worth it to go anywhere other than Mexico or India or whoever that was. The Asian women were actually attractive, and I like the idea of the whores sitting in that fishbowl thing while I pick which one to sexually disappoint.
    "All good things end badly..or else they wouldn't end at all"

Lincoln

Well, as strictly a vehicle of entertainment, it served. Many good performances here from a wide array of actors you know and actors you kind of know. You will be saying, "where do I know that guy from?" quite a bit during this.

I've been pumping Joaquine Phoenix' tires for months for best Actor. I've been irritated by the mentions of DDL, as such a shoe in. Don't get me wrong, I think he is the best in the world, but it feels like now all he has to do is show up and everyone wants to give him an oscar at this point. But damnit......he was friggin INCREDIBLE in this!!! I still say Phoenix, but if DDL gets it, I certainly won't be pissed

Now where this movie falls short is, it's too much of a love letter from Spielberg to Lincoln. The reverance he has for this man is so apparent and so overwhelmingly brought out here. It's a very unrealistic expectation of anyone to be as perfectly virtuous as Lincoln is portrayed to be. And not only him, but many others in the film as well.

I'm sorry, but I just flat out can't believe that all these white men in the mid 19th century were so passionate about the rights of black men and woman and human dignity and equality and so on. It's well documented how much of that was a political and military move. And how Lincoln himself really felt about these people. I don't have to get into historical tit for tat here, it's just common sense. It all felt very naive....intentionally so

Still though, entertaining for what it is. One particular scene where Lincoln tells a story of Ethan Allen in London was memorable and very funny. But I just can't get around how wrong the tennor of the story felt

6/10

Last edited by PatSox; 01-24-2013 at 07:30 PM.

I have a bad feeling that Lincoln is going to clean up at the Oscars.

White people from small towns are stupid, evil, and racist. So inferior are these hicks that a one-armed Yankee has no trouble beating the **** out of the biggest redneck around, and he also wins at the end when he is facing down a high powered rifle. \

5/10, all 5 points for Spencer Tracy as the superior Yankee coming to set all these dumb hicks straight. He reminds me so much of Mike from Breaking Bad that I wondered if Mike is Spencer Tracy's son. As far as I klearned from goog he isn't

Django Unchained - 9.5/10

What a fucking awesome movie.

Quote Originally Posted by math is hard View Post
    Django Unchained - 9.5/10

What a fucking awesome movie.
    While my review was a little more wordy, it basically came down to mean exactly this

I actually enjoyed this one more than Inglorious Basterds, either Kill Bill or Pulp Fiction. It's his best film since Resevoir Dogs

Looper 7/10

Best Sci Fi movie I've seen in a long time. I think they should have kept some of the deleted scenes. The biggest gripe I have is that I want more of that universe. I actually wish this wasn't original material. Would love to see some movies or books take place in that view of earth.

^^Looper was SICK. I would give Looper a 8.5 though. I really liked how the plot continued to thicken. It could have been nroken up into two movies and I would have loved it.

I saw Gangster Squad this weekend. Cool flick. I give it a strong 7.
    Former UFF Interim Champ
    MMA ELIMINATOR XXIV Winner
    FCIII Champion
    FCV Team Champs-Rocketman & FA-Qer-RWS
    FCVIII Team Champs
    -Robmck3898 & FA-Qer- Cake-n-Bake
    2009, 2010, 2011 OD Welterweight Champion
    Proud member of New Breed, PCT, ZING, The Team and Team TOIAP IS A PUNK!!!
    Guitarist for Elbow Deep!!

+ Reply to Thread